Thursday, January 2, 2014

Cupcakes and cakes inspired by Annalise Roberts

Alien Cupcakes - Photo by J.Stahl




One of my favorite cake recipes comes from Annalise Roberts' Gluten-Free Baking Classics.  I make her Yellow Layer Cake for every single birthday. We modify if we wish to have chocolate and only deviate if someone wants to have marble cake or pie instead.

Her cake recipe is one of the absolute fluffiest cakes I have had in ages! Everyone we've introduced it to has been quite pleasantly surprised that it has been gluten free.


The photo above of the Alien Cupcakes was made four years ago for my husband's birthday. We were stymied what to make and I figured aliens would be fascinating. The only thing I forgot to take into mind was that food coloring is usually off the table when it comes to Germans and cake. Oops. You live and learn, right?

The icing was made using Wilton's Buttercream Icing recipe, and I topped off all of the aliens with some gluten free fruit candy, gluten free pretzel sticks and chocolate candies. 

That same year, I made hamburger cupcakes using the same recipe.  I split the recipe and made half chocolate (remember to remove about 1/2 cup of the flour specified and add in the same amount in cocoa powder).  I colored the icing with red and yellow food coloring and left some white so that it would look like each cupcake had been given mayo, ketchup and mustard. Again, everyone was pleasantly surprised how delicate the cake was and how little sugar was used to make everything for this. The cupcakes were simple and held up well for my birthday party.

Hamburger Cupcakes - Photo by J. Stahl

If I could recommend any cookbook, and any one recipe out of a cookbook, this would be it!  If you can't afford a copy, please do be sure to request one in your local library.  It always helps for librarians to know that you are looking for specific books so that other people, like ourselves can find what they need when they go.  Just imagine if every library was equipped with a healthy selection of Gluten free books and cookbooks!

 Do you have a gluten free cookbook that you like? Any specific cake recipes that you would just love for the world to know and try out? Feel free to leave a comment below. I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment